Holy Trinity, Country Harbour Mines - 16723 Highway 316
In 1834, the church on the hill became the first house of worship at Country Harbour Mines. By 1900, this structure was still serving the people, however the time for the old building was fast drawing to an end. Plans were being made for the new church which would soon become a reality. At a meeting held on the 25th of April 1905, the erection of this new church was discussed. The following motion was made, "That the work of the new Church begin this year and that a portion of it or all of it should be completed as soon as possible." By the end of 1906, the building was erected and services could then be held in the new church.
In spite of all efforts, there was a debt left to be paid. The people met this challenge willingly. In 1907, it was decided to take a collection at the church which would be used for this purpose: 25 cents for adults and 10 cents for children was requested. Harold Hudson was appointed Collector for an organ and to act as Secretary Treasurer for this project. By this time, they had apparently bought oilcloth and a stove for the church for which they also had to pay. Little by little, however, the church began to be improved through hard work and the constant dedication of the people.
At this time, the Stormont Anglican Church was still active but was experiencing some difficulty with its use by other denominations. It was settled beyond dispute that the church and graveyard were the property of the Church of England and acknowledged by the Baptists and Methodists. It was further decided that the respective denominations should be allowed to continue to use the building on condition that they help to keep it in repair and that in the event of their refusal, they were to discontinue the use of the building. Just what events transpired after 1909 is not quite clear, however, it appears to have been the decision of the people of Stormont to build a new church, a Union Church, which could be used by all denominations. In 1924, the new church was opened. The old Anglican Church, which had fallen into disrepair, was tom down. Some of the material, including the windows, were used in the new church.
In the 1950's, fire broke out in the church and the roof was partially burned. Men from all over the community went to assist in extinguishing the flames. Fortunately, they were able to do so. During the time that the roof was being repaired, services were held in Zion United Church, Crossroads. During the 1970's, a hall was built under the church which now serves for Sunday School, Willing Workers (A.C.W.) and public meetings. God has fostered the growth of the Church in this area. Always, it has been a place of refuge and with the work of the people, and God's blessing, it will continue to serve future generations.
“Jesus has promised that the Holy Spirit would always be with us. It has been so, and one day, to all those who truly believe in this promise, He will say: "Well done good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things I will make you ruler over many things. Come in and share my Kingdom." Matthew 26:23.
Stained Glass Window Memorials
In 1986 the first of a series of stained glass windows designed by Paul Blaney of Saint John New Brunswick, was installed at Holy Trinity. These windows are aids to worship and recount both the history of our faith and point to the eternal power of God at work amongst us through people of faith. The first window at the front of the Church over the celebrant's chair and visible at night with the aid of an exterior light represents God the Holy Trinity. In the background is God the Father's creation reflected in the evergreen trees which are native to Country Harbour and which provide now, as they have for generations, the livelihood of so many in the parish.
At the centre of the window is a depiction of our Lord, Jesus the Christ. He is robed and stands with his arms outstretched bidding all to come to him through the waters of Baptism and to share at his table, the altar beneath the window and adjacent to the font. Jesus stands over the axe and pick symbols of the labour of so many in Country Harbour. He is Lord of all. Above our Lord, is the depiction of a dove signifying the third person of the Holy Trinity, the Holy Spirit. The same dove is signified at the font which stands between the ambo/lectern (WORD OF GOD) and the altar (LORD'S TABLE). The Holy Spirit moves within the community of faith drawing us into the life and love of God, the Holy Trinity.
A series of eight windows were planned in 1987 for the sides and back of church, depicting the loving action of God through the people or saints who have responded to his call. Now, in 2010, we can see them in all their glory. First to the right is the window of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Christ Child. This nativity window continues the series of memorial windows with the person who responded with her "yes" to God as the scripture tells us "All generations shall call you blessed." The design of this window follows the English design found at Walsingham where, in 1061, Richeldis de Faverches, had a vision of Our Blessed Lady. She was told to build a replica of the house of the Holy Family and, when it was built, this house was panelled with wood and contained a wooden statue of an enthroned Virgin Mary with the child Jesus seated on her lap. This is now a place of great Anglican pilgrimage and a jewel among the religious sites in England and recalls the English origins of many Anglicans.
Across from this window and beside the lectern/pulpit you can see Saint Joseph the Worker, the spouse of Saint Mary-the-Virgin. He also is seated in similar style to his wife, and looks toward the Virgin and Child, holding the saw in one hand and the rod of Jesse in the other, signifying human work and the heritage of Jesus in the human family.
The other side windows depict Celtic saints who first brought the message and sacraments of Christ to the northern peoples of Britain, from whence came the English Catholic or Anglican Church. These saints are: Saints Aidan, Cuthbert, Patrick & Columba. Bringing us closer to the present age are the two windows at the back of the Church, Saint Francis of Assisi, who founded the worldwide fellowship of those who seek to follow a life of simple service in the Gospel and Bishop Hibbert Binney, the fourth bishop of Nova Scotia, under whose leadership Holy Trinity Parish was formed.
-History adapted from Pauline Liengme's History of Three Harbours. Used with permission.